Dan Walker is the new Music Director of the Canberra Choral Society from 2019. Dan regularly performs with Cantillation, Pinchgut Opera, Luminescence Chamber Singers, Clarion quartet and is a guest member of The Song Company.
As a composer, conductor and performer Dan is one of Australia’s most in-demand choral specialists. His music is performed worldwide and includes commissions for Gondwana Voices, Leichhardt Espresso Chorus, Voyces Youth Choir, the Birralee Blokes, the Nittany Valley Children’s Choir of Pennsylvania, and Halcyon. His large work, Mass of Deliverance, was a finalist of the 2015 APRA/AMCOS Art Music Awards.
Dan is also an active arranger and regularly produces work for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra, the Australian Chamber Orchestra and record label ABC Classics. His work for television includes the iconic 2009 I Still Call Australia Home advertising campaign for Qantas.
Previous CCS artistic/musical directors
- Dianna Nixon, 2017
- Tobias Cole, 2011-2016
- Dr Peter Pocock, 2005-2010
- Judith Clingan, 2004-2005
- John Gilbert (Acting), Sept 2003-Dec 2003
- Thomas Burge, Jan 2002-Sept 2003
- Christoph Moor, July 2001-Oct 2001
- Piroska Varga, Jan 2000-June 2001
- Robyn Holmes, 1993-1999
- Christopher Lyndon-Gee, 1989-1993
- Hans Gunter Mommer, 1985-1989
- Donald Hollier, 1977-1985
- Ayis Ioannides, 1971-1976
- Wilfred Holland, 1962-1971
- Jane Malone, 1958-1961
- Ronald Penny, 1952-1957